November 4, 2016
The parish of St. Michael's in Leamington is ready to open its new church after 15 months of construction.
The parish, which has maintained a second worship site at St. Joseph church, has had ongoing fundraising for several years, suitably calling the campaign “Under One Roof,” as the ultimate goal has always been to build one church site instead of maintaining two church buildings. St. Michael was built in 1922 with renovations over the decades and additions in the early 1990s. St. Joseph was built in 1970.
“Our main focus has always been to have our families under one roof,” shared Father Danny Santos, parochial vicar at St. Michael, “we look forward to this new chapter that will unite all families and communities in our beautiful new church.”
Construction broke ground in July 2015, and the new church will officially open on November 4. The completely redesigned building features seating for 540 people, including 18 wheelchair spaces; a parish hall with full service kitchen; four meeting rooms; elevator; and a 56-person chapel, the St. Peter’s Day Chapel. The church was designed by Sfera Architects and constructed by Amico Design Build.
Bishop Fabbro and Auxiliary Bishop Dabrowski will concelebrate the Dedication Mass with the pastors of St. Michael’s, as well as other clergy from across the diocese, this evening:
Dedication Mass (reception to follow)
Friday, November 4, 2016
St. Michael’s, Leamington
When a new church building is erected, a Dedication Mass is held in order to signify the dedication of the building to God for all times and petition for His blessing. All are welcome.
About St. Michael Parish in Leamington
The first mission in Leamington had the title of St. Andrew and was served by Basilians from Amherstburg between 1874 - 1882. From 1882 to 1886 the mission belonged to the parish in Maidstone; from 1886 to 1900 the mission belonged to St. John the Evangelist Parish, Woodslee. In 1900, the Leamington Mission was elevated to parish status with Staples and Point Pelee as its missions. This was short lived as the Leamington Parish would revert back to a mission and attached to Holy Redeemer Parish, Staples. By 1919, Leamington was, once again, elevated to a parish and renamed St. Michael the Archangel and Holy Name of Jesus Church, Essex was its mission. A new church was opened and blessed on December 10, 1922.
Pelee Island became a mission of Leamington in the 1940s. On May 24, 1970, a second church was built and blessed dedicated to St Joseph long before diocesan policy of clustering parishes. St. Joseph was added to St. Michael's parish as a second worship site, due to increasing numbers of families.